Saturday, December 31, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

I love New Year's Eve! What a fantastic holiday! Most people have the next day off, everyone is down for partying into the wee hours of the morning, and getting drunk off your arse is not only acceptable - it`s expected! It`s like everyone gets to celebrate their birthday all together on one night :)

One of my favorite ways to recover after a New Year's party (after a hungover brunch, of course) is to curl up and watch my favorite New Year's movies.

First is RENT. If you've never seen Rent, you are missing out on life. I'll warn you, it is a musical, but it is a fantastic rock opera. The story focuses on a group of 20-somethings who are poor and trying to find their path in New York's Alphabet City during the late 80s/early 90s. Rent also takes place over Christmas too, so it's a perfect movie for this time of year. Watch it. I promise it will change your life.




My favorite romcom of all time will always be When Harry Met Sally. This movie was ahead of its time and one of a kind. If you think the title sounds familiar, this is the movie where Meg Ryan fakes an orgasm in a diner - I'm sure everyone has seen spoofs of this monumental moment in cinematic history. I love this movie because although it does follow a bit of the romcom formula, the events and emotions throughout the movie are extremely realistic and appear genuine - it's doesn't come off as inauthetnitc, which is how I find most rom-coms to be. Plus, this movie has the ability to make me cry like a sobbing baby at the end, every time.



Of course there's the 90s classic 200 Cigarettes. I initially watched this movie on a whim, not thinking it would ever be worthy of a rewatch, but I have to give it props. 200 Cigarettes is one of those ensemble cast movies (which I am a total sucker for, e.g., He's Just Not That Into You) that maintained a solid, fluid plot throughout and didn't expect popularity by simply relying on its smorgasborg of celebs in the film (like many ensemble cast movies do, e.g., Valentine's Day). It's a hilarious film that all takes place on New Year's Eve, following around a number of different characters, all trying to find the perfect way to ring in the New Year. Sound familiar? That's because there's a new movie coming out this year called New Year's Eve and it also has an ensemble cast. I haven't heard great stuff about New Year's Eve, but like I said, I'm a sucker for ensemble casts so I will go see it anyway. But I have my doubts about it's ability to live up to 200 Cigarettes.



On an extra lovey note, if you haven't seen it, here's a lovely vid of Zooey Deschanel & Joseph Gordon-Levitt singing a beautiful song together. 500 Days of New Year's Eve <3  

No comments:

Post a Comment